[rc5] Win32 GUI client is a trojan?

Richard Freeman rfreeman at netaxs.com
Wed Nov 12 23:51:08 EST 1997

On Wed, 12 Nov 1997, Matthew L Bennett wrote:

> So he technically "stole" from a major corporation with billions of
> dollars.  I could care less.  If he get's busted, then it's just desserts
> time.  If he lives to a ripe old age, still a pirate, then I still could
> care less.  It's his descision to use pirated software, therefore, he can
> face the consequences, if any.

Well - if he was only "stealing"...  I think that there was once a day
that this was considered a bad thing...  Pity...

> Also, let me be frank.  Give someone with a limited income the choice of
> getting a program for free, or paying $600 dollars for it, even though
> it's illegal to get it for free, and guess what, they're going to laugh
> at you and pirate it..  Hey, pal, people smoke marijuana, that's illegal,
> but they couldn't give a crap if the penalty for use was life in prison.

I'd hardly call my income unlimited - but I try to make it a point to pay
for what I use.  I use Office - so I pay for Office.  Anything less is
theft - and sooner or later it catches up with you.  There is no such
thing as a victimless crime.  Why does the law in the US permit "Citizen's
Arrests"?  It was probably because when the Constitution was written, the
purpose of it was to declare that government derives its power from those
that it governs - and that it benefits these same people.  Consequently,
it is the place of every citizen to take part in the operation of the
government - even if it is something as trivial as pulling a lever at the
polls.  The US copyright laws exist because the people of the US belive
that they are worthwhile.  When people help to enforce the laws of their
nation, they have volunteered their time to their government.  If they
choose not to, then the only way for the laws to be enforced is through
the police - and you will volunteer your money instead.  Its you choice -
but it sure would cost a lot less for the common citizen to do more of
this sort of work than for the police to do it...

In other words - violation of the law is not a private matter - it is a
public concern.  The law is made by the public.  The police are hired from
the public.  You are tried before a jury of your peers.

It seems like being rebellious is considered popular these days - as if
somebody needs to prove their adulthood by demonstrating that they can get
away with not submitting to those that are in authority over them.  In
actuality, such behavior is childish - and I still belive that most
citizens grow out of it - some sooner than others.  Before people start
coming up with off-the-wall arguments about Totalitarians and Nazis (it
seems that the word authority is a dirty word these days) - realize that
there is a big difference between being asked to pay for some software and
being asked to be relocated to a concentration camp...

Arguing that there is nothing wrong with violating laws for selfish
reasons is simply silly...