[rc5] Re: *VERY OFF-TOPIC* semi-US-centric government discussion

Joseph Fisk joe at rm405n-a.roberts.fit.edu
Thu Nov 13 01:10:51 EST 1997

On Thu, 13 Nov 1997, Wes Shull wrote:

> Is there anyone out there who doesn't think that in this age of
> pervasive networking and electronics that it's not feasible to remove
> the middlemen and let us all vote directly on the things that impact
> our lives?

One of the major reasons we are a representative rather than direct
democracy is that the citizens as a whole are not well educated enough to
make the day-to-day decisions that are neccesary to avoid domestic or
foreign catastrophes such as depression or nuclear war.

I personally don't feel like I would be well qualified to make decisions
of such importance.  A large part of the government consists of people who
gather, organize, and present information to those responsible for the
decisions to keep them as informed as possible.

> With the exception of basic services,
> let's get a pay-for-usage system.

That's basically what we have.  Basic services?  Where do you draw the
line.  Welfare?  Social security?  Military?

>  Road taxes based on miles driven.
> That kind of thing.

Whoah there's a lot more Big Brother to that than I or most anybody else
would care to deal with.

> Really?  I don't recall having been given the opportunity to vote on
> most any law that governs my life...  Most were in effect before I
> was even born.  How do I force another vote?

You choose the people that make the laws.  The idea is that the majority
will get their way, and it works.

Do most people consider themselves libertarians?  No.  There you have it.

Joseph