[RC5] Stats, continuing story

Chris Arguin Chris.Arguin at unh.edu
Tue Nov 18 10:44:56 EST 1997

On Tue, 18 Nov 1997, Fred Donck wrote:

> While trying to retrieve the URL:
> http://205.149.163.207/emsummary.idc?EM=f.c.w.donck@siep.shell.com
>
> The following error was encountered:
>
>      No Object Data
>
> This means that:
>
>     The remote server closed the connection before sending any data.
>

> I have been feeding blocks for 10 days but today I found out that somehow
> these block went into thin air ......

Don't mind if I rant for a second, do you?

<rant>
I'm confused about all the importance people are attributing to the
STATISTICS. That's all they are. They are numbers that relate to you
approximitly how much work has been done. They are not ACTUALLY how much
work as been done. If the statistics are down, that doesn't mean that any
work is lost. Indeed, from what I have seen, distributed.net goes to
fairly great lengths to ensure that data is not lost.

Now, since so many people seem to think that statistics is important, then
it should be a high priority (and I think it is).After all, people (well..
their machines) make this work. But why? Yeah, that statistics are cool,
but if they are not there... oh well.
</rant>

Ok... I'll get off my podium. I used two words entirely capital... that's
probably a bad sign. Next thing you know I'll be using multiple
exclamation points.

--
Chris Arguin                 | "Multiple exclamation points... A sure sign
Chris.Arguin at unh.edu         |  of a diseased mind" - Terry Pratchett

To unsubcribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at llamas.net