[RC5] FPGA info

gindrup at okway.okstate.edu gindrup at okway.okstate.edu
Tue Nov 18 13:43:10 EST 1997

Went looking for FPGA developer kits, particularly after the $250 mentioned in
those posts.  We did find some $250 kits, but they're only useful to get extra
license seats and extend maintenance contracts for people who already have spend
the $700+ to get started.

I'm interested in FPGA, for RC5 and other projects, and have done VHDL
programming before, as you know.  Made a CPU in VHDL once...  I'd be interested
in getting started, but $700 is kinda steep.  Wondering if there are any cheaper
(but still usable) systems.  I think the primary cost is the software, the VHDL
compilers and autorouters, etc.  Is there, perhaps, a set of shareware utilities
for doing this that can then download into Big and Fast Xilinx (or other good
brands - Actel, whoever) FPGA's?

Mac Reiter
MacReiter at bigfoot.com

To unsubcribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at llamas.net