[RC5] Dist Computing in the Workplace

Stephen J Gadsby sjgadsby at home-email.com
Tue Nov 18 19:20:01 EST 1997

On Tuesday, November 18, 1997 3:10 PM, gindrup at okway.okstate.edu
[SMTP:gindrup at okway.okstate.edu] wrote:

>      I understand that Symantec's recent compilers will load share a
>      build...
>             -- Eric Gindrup ! gindrup at Okway.okstate.edu

   Symantec C++ version 7.2x did feature NetBuild, which allowed project
compilation to be distributed to other Windows systems running NetBuild
servers. However, according to the version 7.5 manual, "NetBuild is only
supported in Symantec C++ Version 7.21." (Version 7.5 is for Win32 developement
only. Version 7.21 must be installed first, with version 7.5 providing enhanced
Win32 development, if DOS or Win16 are to be target environments.)

   i've never experimented with NetBuild, though it certainly sounds
interesting. i've no idea why Symantec eliminated it from 7.5 unless it never
lived up to its promise.

   On a related note, Macromedia Extreme 3D 2 allows for network rendering.
Jobs can be submitted by either Windows or Macintosh computers, and both
Windows and Macintosh render servers will act on the jobs as long as the file
format is platform independant.

==-   S t e p h e n  J  G a d s b y   - http://www.distributed.net/ -==
==-      sjgadsby at home-email.com      -  Forget infinite monkeys.   -==
==- http://cs.millersv.edu/~sjgadsby/ -      We've got cows.        -==