[RC5] 2000ms ping times to best.com? (And the smoking man)

Haberlach, Adam HaberlaA at testlab.orst.edu
Tue Nov 18 17:58:00 EST 1997

It's a conspiricy.

It's late a night (it always is), and special agent David McNett (Codename:
Nuggett) is putting the finishing touches on the replacement stats server.

"All I need to do is upload these last few queries to the web site, and
we'll be on-line!", he says, taking a another swig of Jolt and starting the
FTP.

"Hey--I thought you said this ISP had a fast connection!" he yells to agent
Bovine, in the other room working on a port of the RC5-64 client to the
TI-82 calculator.  "I'm getting ping times of almost 2000ms!!"

Suddenly, the screen clears, and a cryptic message slides down the screen:
"Trust Nobody--especially with your source code."

Nuggett and Bovine look at each other in agreement as another message coasts
down the screen.  "You're well on your way.  Only 250 * 2^255 more keys to
go.  I can help.  Meet me outside.  Bring some money.  Or Pizza."

"This is weird, man." says Nuggett.  "But weI don't seem to have any
choice--we're getting ping times of 2000ms."

Stepping outside, a dark shadow in a trenchcoat lights a match.  "I believe
I know what it is you two are looking for."

"I hope so--we've been trying to tell everyone we can get our hands on.  And
what are you going to do with that match?"

"Huh?  Err, nothing, I just like lighting them.  I think you should know
that others are aware of your efforts.  Your 'network problems' are related
to this.  Someone is giving your ping times of 2000ms in order to alienate
your little herd of cattle."

Nah.  I don't think I'll go on.  Anyone else can if they wish.

---
Adam Haberlach      haberlaa at ucs.orst.edu
http://www.engr.orst.edu/~haberlad
RC5-56 is over!
10/19/97 13:25:06--Client at 134.184.65.64 (jo at dinf.vub.ac.be) reported
success with key 0x532B744CC20999 [1/1/4]

To unsubcribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at llamas.net