[RC5] 2000ms ping times to best.com?

Daniel Baker dbaker at wrangler.cuckoo.com
Tue Nov 18 21:06:31 EST 1997


> At 06:19 AM 11/18/97 -0800, you wrote:
> 
> Either way, if my ISP couldn't ping best.com in less than a few
> milliseconds - I'd be gone!  Best.com has somewhere in the neighborhood of
> five (5) fiber optic T3 lines and ANYONE should be able to get to them
> FAST!  If his 'ISP' couldn't get to them in less than 2000ms then I think
> the joke is on us and this is another excuse.  No one would be dumb enough
> to have an ISP that couldn't even ping one of the fastest ISPs in the
> country in less than a few milliseconds.

"One of the best in the country" ? Wow. You must do a lot of research
to know if you find an ISP with 5 T3s, that makes them one of the best. True,
they are a premire provider, but I think that's a very blunt and blanket
statement from someone who appears to have little knowledge of said ISPs
besides their ads regarding the 5 T3s.

spanky % ping -c 5 www.best.net
PING kephalos.best.net (206.184.139.146): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 206.184.139.146: icmp_seq=0 ttl=247 time=60.124 ms
64 bytes from 206.184.139.146: icmp_seq=1 ttl=247 time=55.188 ms
64 bytes from 206.184.139.146: icmp_seq=2 ttl=247 time=55.199 ms
64 bytes from 206.184.139.146: icmp_seq=3 ttl=247 time=66.639 ms
64 bytes from 206.184.139.146: icmp_seq=4 ttl=247 time=50.482 ms

--- kephalos.best.net ping statistics ---
5 packets transmitted, 5 packets received, 0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max = 50.482/57.520/66.639 ms
spanky % 

My ping times are in the mid 50s and 60s. I assume you can judge an
ISP by ping times, so please tell me how my ISP ranks up. Of course,
I guess you can't really tell where the problem would lie if there
was one, could you?

If my ping times were 2000, could you say it was my ISP's problem? How
do you know the T3 isn't getting CRCs? (That's a SWBell Problem) How
do you know that MAE-Houston isn't having problems? How do you know that
MCI isn't having problems? How do you know that a peer between MCI and
another provider isn't having problems? 

I want you to come work at CuckooNet. I am amazed that you can take
a ping time and NOT ONLY judge the quality of an ISP, but you can judge
the intelligence level of the user!!! I, for one am extremely impressed
by your ICMP ability.

It has nothing to do with being "dumb".  That too is another blanket
and uninformed statement.

> 
> I don't mean to give the Bovine / Distributed people grief but these delays
> and excuses are beginning to sound rather ridiculous.

Lets say Nugget was upset and formatted the NT boxes's hardrive. That
would be the reason. Let's say he couldn't figure out how to fix it. That
would be the reason. There is no need to lie. The problem is his ISP.

Get over it!

Daniel

-- 
Daniel Baker (dbaker at cuckoo.com)
Chief Technology and Executive Officer -- CuckooNet! (http://www.cuckoo.com)
--
To unsubcribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at llamas.net
rc5-digest subscribers replace rc5 with rc5-digest



More information about the rc5 mailing list