[RC5] 2000ms ping times to best.com?

Josh Carpenter jjcarpen at umich.edu
Tue Nov 18 21:27:43 EST 1997

You're confusing bandwidth and latency... If there was a 50 lane highway
between New York and California it wouldn't make the trip any faster, it
would just let more cars make the trip at the same time... So a single
connection to best.net wouldn't know the difference between 1 T3 and 5, but
those 5 T3's can handle more transactions at once.
I hope that helps...
And yes, if I was getting 2000ms ping times I'd probably switch ISP's too,
but a lot of people don't have that option. My home town has two local
ISP's and neither of them provide decent service... (One has a 56k line
into town and the other has a 64k line, and there just isn't much bandwidth
to go around...)
-Josh