[RC5] 2000ms ping times to best.net?

Daniel Baker dbaker at wrangler.cuckoo.com
Tue Nov 18 22:11:35 EST 1997


> At 09:06 PM 11/18/97 -0600, you wrote:
> 
> >"One of the best in the country" ? Wow. You must do a lot of research
> >to know if you find an ISP with 5 T3s, that makes them one of the best. True,
> >they are a premire provider, but I think that's a very blunt and blanket
> >statement from someone who appears to have little knowledge of said ISPs
> >besides their ads regarding the 5 T3s.
> 
>   I love how you just assume that the only thing I know about Best.Net is
> what the ad on the stats page says.  Now that I look at what I said, yes,
> that was a rather blunt statement - although that does not mean that the
> only thing I know about the ISP is that they have 5 T3 lines.

The only fact you stated about 'best.com' was the fact that they have
5 T3s. What was I to expect?

> 
> >If my ping times were 2000, could you say it was my ISP's problem? How
> >do you know the T3 isn't getting CRCs? (That's a SWBell Problem) How
> >do you know that MAE-Houston isn't having problems? How do you know that
> >MCI isn't having problems? How do you know that a peer between MCI and
> >another provider isn't having problems? 
> 
>   For some reason I get the feeling that a company such as Best.Net, that
> has as much money going to their providers as well as SWBell, doesn't have
> a problem getting things fixed fast.  A company that spends the money that
> I'm SURE they do would not have problems like this that would last for DAYS.

Here's a homework assignment for you.  Read that paragraph over 4 times, then
think about your witty retort.  You will soon understand what I meant.

"A compy that spends the money" ? What kind of company gets a T3 for free? If
a company has a T3, I'll be you dollars to donuts, they're paying for it.

> 
>   In my experience with routing, line, phone company and ISP problems
> (which we have plenty of here in the South East - make a note: if you can
> stay away from BBN in Atlanta - do it!) I have never seen a situation where
> an ISP couldn't ping a seemingly fast (best.net) ISP at a fairly decent
> speed.  2000ms is what I would expect from someone trying to ping through a
> 300 baud modem.  How can you provide service to your customers as an ISP if
> for days you are providing ping times to a very fast ISP at 2000ms?
> Problems like that typically do not take DAYS to fix.  I have seen fiber
> lines cut underground in downtown Atlanta before that didn't take more than
> a few hours to fix!  I could understand the 2000ms problem lasting a little
> while...but DAYS?  I've never seen or heard of anyone having problems like
> that for DAYS!?!?!   Am I missing something?

Yes.  You apparently don't have as much "experience with routing, line, phone 
company and ISP problems" as you think you do.  Apparently you have experience
with ditching ISPs for new ones, but you don't have any experience with
designing networks, engineering networks, implementing networks, running
networks, debugging networks, and fixing networks.

How about I throw you a network that's getting 20% packet loss and high
ping times and you tell ME what's wrong, eh?

> 
>   I guess I'm just looking at what I have dealt with in the past and the
> outcome of those situations.  I do know that most customers will not
> tolerate service like that and would switch ISPs in a heartbeat.  If I had
> taken on the task of keeping up these stats and my ISP had gone to shit for
> WAY to long, I personally would call up another ISP and get an account
> setup!  Even if it was only for a month - I'd have my net access and
> probably wouldn't have paid much more (if any) for it than I would have
> paid at my original ISP anyway.  (Not that I would pay my original ISP shit
> for this downtime period!)

You do that. Go for it and get down with your bad self!

> 
>   I know you are going to find something wrong with this message as well,
> so if you decide to reply please do it in private mail since this is
> becoming rather off-topic.  
> 
> >Lets say Nugget was upset and formatted the NT boxes's hardrive. That
> >would be the reason. Let's say he couldn't figure out how to fix it. That
> >would be the reason. There is no need to lie. The problem is his ISP.
> 
>   Then for the love of God find another ISP for the rest of the month like
> I said above!  If I knew I had taken on a task like this and tens of
> thousands of people were wondering what in the hell was going on then
> believe me - I'd fix it somehow!

I'd like to see you design a stats system.

> 
> >Get over it!
> 
>   Get over what?  I could personally care less what he does about his ISP.
> Like I've said over and over...if you are going to take on a task like
> these damn stats, maybe you should look at other options when your ISP has
> problems instead of waiting for them to come around.  If you don't care and
> you're going to sit around and wait then maybe a secondary stats maintainer
> should be looked into (like someone suggested earlier today).

If you don't care, why are you bitching!??

> 
> >-- 
> >Daniel Baker (dbaker at cuckoo.com)
> >Chief Technology and Executive Officer -- CuckooNet! >(http://www.cuckoo.com)
> 
> On a helpful note...You might want to check on your page there... I
> couldn't get anything out of it but a black screen, some images that didn't
> load and the phrase "The door is open...come on in".

I don't know why you stand for that! Get yourself a new ISP!!!!

It's called "I deleted the fucking webpage". You're apparently seeing
some of the remains.

Daniel

-- 
Daniel Baker (dbaker at cuckoo.com)
Chief Technology and Executive Officer -- CuckooNet! (http://www.cuckoo.com)
--
To unsubcribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at llamas.net
rc5-digest subscribers replace rc5 with rc5-digest



More information about the rc5 mailing list