[RC5] Re: source code / client protocol security

Richard Freeman rfreeman at netaxs.com
Wed Nov 19 12:58:16 EST 1997

On Wed, 19 Nov 1997, Adam Rotaru-Varga wrote:

> From: "Christopher Hodson (Consultant)" <cmh at fpk.hp.com>
> > OK, after much deliberation, I 've decided that as an act of good faith,
> > I will release 1 block per day until the source code is freed.
>
> Well, I think release of the complete source code is not a good idea.
> I could, for one, locate the main cycle which iterrates over all the keys
> in the block, delete the contents, put a sleep(5) instead, recompile,
> and I would have a client that finishes blocks at a rate of 1 block / 5
> seconds. Pretty neat. Or if not me, but someone else could do it QUITE
> easily. As for releasing only the computaational core, without the
> communication part -- I guess the algorithm is quite well documented.

Even if you released only the crunching portion, with the ability to
recompile it and link it to the remainder of the program you could do
exactly what you just suggested.  Gee - I found a neat way to make that
loop faster - replace those rotate-lefts with NOP's - they execute much
faster even on RISC/MIPS chips...

Richard T. Freeman <rfreeman at netaxs.com> - finger for pgp key
3D CB AF BD FF E8 0B 10 4E 09 27 00 8D 27 E1 93
http://www.netaxs.com/~rfreeman - ftp.netaxs.com/people/rfreeman

To unsubcribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at llamas.net