[RC5] Number of Participants Stats

Seth Dillingham seth at snet.net
Wed Nov 19 14:18:01 EST 1997

James Byers (jwb19 at cornell.edu), on 11/19/97 2:03 PM, wrote the following:

>	I, too, would love to see this statistic.  However, it is a *very* hard
>quantity to measure.  Just as the number of in-use IP addresses in the
>world does not correlate to how many people are using the Internet, there
>does not seem to be a good way to measure how many users are working on the
>d.n project.  A few of the problems:
>
>	- Checking how many IP addresses report to the proxies does not account
>for machines behind firewalls / proxy servers.
>	- Counting email addresses does not account for individuals using a team
>or group email address (i.e. rc5 at linuxnet.org).
>	- Number of downloads of the clients... etc, etc.
>
>	So, it would be a very interesting exercise to measure the growth; just
>not one made feasible by the information at hand.  Perhaps v3 will solve
>this? :)  Perhaps the one way would be to force each client to be
>registered with some uniquely assigned code from d.n, though this brings
>along with it a whole horde of other complications.

If there is a way of determining what the 'average machine' is, based on
kkeys/sec, we could get a rough estimate of the number of computers
involved that way.

For instance, one of the stats pages regularly reports that the current
rate is equal to x number of ppro's... if the ppro was the average
machine, that would give a pretty good estimate of the number of
computers.

Any statisticians out there (I know there are, or at least plenty who
claim to be) who'd like to take a look at the processor stats, etc, to
try to figure this out? Even a 'rough idea' would be be a good start.

Seth

                  seth at snet.net
    http://macrobyte.simplenet.com/sethspeak/
         http://www.distributed-mac.net/