[RC5] Spare macs for sale, cheap!

Wes Shull wshull at scicom.com
Wed Nov 19 18:46:29 EST 1997

Robert Brooks wrote:

<<Something that might be of interest to the dedicated crew of Mac
attackers,
from Small Dog Electronics (http://www.smalldoggy.com/)

>Older Macintosh
>---------------
>Mac IIci 8/0 w/mouse  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  u    20  $ 129.00
>Mac IIcx8/80 /8-bit video w/mouse  . . . . . . . . . . u     9   $ 99.00
>Macintosh IIsi 5/40 w/mouse  . . . . . . . . . . . . . u     2   $ 99.00

Er, I think these are all '030 machines at best.  And remember the 680x0
chips lack a rotate instruction, which makes them (Small) Dog-slow on RC5.

A better bet would be to get a cheap Pentium MB, a K5, case/PS, crappy
video card, crappy KB, and floppy drive for $250ish (this could approach
free, depending on how much old junk HW you have lying around).  If you're
networked, add a $10 ethernet card so you don't have to sneakernet the
blocks off.  Heck, if you've got a server, you could probably burn a boot
prom and do without the floppy drive as well.  Much more cost-effective
(keys/s*$) than the Macs.

Save the old Macs for cheap net terminals.  I think the Mac version of NCSA
telnet is still the best non-UNIX telnet implementation I've used.  Eudora
is a great mail program, and the Mac version is actually stable.
 Newswatcher is great for usenet.  Stick one in the bathroom for when all
the braindead discussion on the RC5 list makes you constipated.  :^o

--wes
To unsubcribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at llamas.net