[RC5] Number of Participants Stats

Dan Retzlaff dan at wcug.wwu.edu
Wed Nov 19 16:18:46 EST 1997

Serial numbers aren't such a bad idea, and I don't imagine that it would
be too difficult to implement. As you suggest, have the client assigned
a unique serial number when it first interacts with a keyserver. The
problem of somebody deleting/re-installing (or even just deleting) the
client can be remedied by running through an Active Serial Number
database and de-activating those serial numbers which haven't submitted
blocks in a certain amount of time. Say every two weeks.

It's certainly not a mission-critical task as far as RC5-64 goes, but as
I said before, participation stats in view of the bigger picture of
distributed computing are very interesting.

Any comments as to risks, difficulties or additional benefits of a
serial number-based client identification system?

To unsubcribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at llamas.net