[RC5] How does the client know?

Joe Zbiciak j-zbiciak1 at ti.com
Thu Nov 20 00:17:12 EST 1997

'Eric Folley' said previously:

| That is, how does the client know when it finds The Key?

It only knows that it might have the key, from what I gather.
There is a known piece of plaintext in the first several bytes of the
encrypted string.

So what the client does is attempt to encrypt the same string with
different keys until it gets the same ciphertext.  When it gets a
match, the key is flagged as a possible match and the key servers
verify if it is or not.

Sound right to everyone?

I believe the client makes a number of short-cuts to save it some
work, as well, but at least in theory that's what it's doing.

Regards,

--Joe

--
 |- - - - -  j-zbiciak1 at ti.com  - - - - -|   You have the capacity to
 | - http://www.primenet.com/~im14u2c/ - |   learn from mistakes.
 |- - - -Texas Instruments, Dallas- - - -|   You will learn alot today.
 +------#include <std_disclaimer.h>------+
To unsubcribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at llamas.net