[RC5] Problem...need help...please...

gindrup at okway.okstate.edu gindrup at okway.okstate.edu
Thu Nov 20 18:16:54 EST 1997

     Although Nugget's advice to go through the Admins is usually the best,
     my experience with Campus IS/IT personnel (and I am one) is that they
     are the least qualified persons for the jobs.  The local IS people are
     predominantly BOFHs and that's why departments that actually want to
     get anything done purchase their own "redundant" equipment and hire
     people like me to do their Administration.

     Anyway.

     If you can shut down to DOS, do so and run your program there.

     If you can find a pif that you can run, duplicate it to another folder
     and alter its properties so that it runs the DOS program you want.
     This might not work, especially if you can't find a pif you can run.

     If you can find a bat file that you can run, make a duplicate and have
     it call your program.

     If you have access to a compiler, use the Win32 API call WinExec().
     Rename the resulting exe to one you can use.

     Check the Win.INI to see if the SCR type has been added to the
     [windows]|Programs key (Programs=com exe bat pif scr).  Since you've
     said that changes to the Win.ini appear to vanish on reboot, don't
     bother changing this setting if it does not include scr.  If it does
     include scr, the admins *probably* haven't limited which screensavers
     you can use.  Convert your app to a screensaver and run it.  A
     screensaver is an exe with the extension altered to scr.  Strictly,
     there are a couple more requirements for a *real* screensaver, but
     that's not what your trying to make.

     In all instances, you will probably *also* have to rename the program
     you want to use to a non-restricted name.