[RC5] question from a non-programmer

Justin Cave jocave at MIT.EDU
Fri Nov 21 02:56:46 EST 1997

At 10:48 PM 11/20/97 , you wrote:
>i have two mac os boxes; the slower is running a dial-up connection, and
>thus, it is the one checking the blocks and sending them to the server.
>
>considering, is there a way to get the other machine (connected through
>ethernet) to contribute to the rc5 effort?? (i'll more than double my keys
>per day)

The best way to do this would be to run a personal proxy on the slower
machine.  The slower machine would download and distribute blocks to the
faster machine and the faster machine would report the blocks to the slower
machine, much like the slower machine does currently with the main proxies.
 Unfortunately, there isn't a MacOS proxy available yet, so you can't do
this quite yet.

You could, on the other hand, copy and/or share buff-in and buff-out files
between processes on the two machines.  For example, you could download 200
blocks into "buff-in" on the slower machine, and move that file to the
faster machine.  When the faster machine finished, you could move the
"buff-out" file to the slower machine (being careful not to move the
existing file to a safe place) and then flush the outgoing blocks from the
slower machine.  Move the old buff-out file back, and everything is great.
Justin Cave                        290 Massachusetts Ave
jocave at mit.edu                     Cambridge, MA 02139
http://mental-pygmie.mit.edu
To unsubcribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at llamas.net