[RC5] Win32: feature creep

Sean McPherson sean at ntr.net
Fri Nov 21 08:26:40 EST 1997

On Fri, 21 Nov 1997, Jason Bechtel wrote:
> Bovine Team,
> I have a feature suggestion for the clients with a hidden mode.
>
> First, I realize that the policy is that the client should not be run on
> machines without approval from the owners, but I go to a *rather* large
> school with vast computing facilities and no one would really notice.
> And besides, the client wouldn't have all of these stealth features if
> it wasn't expected to be used surreptitiously...
>
> What keeps me from installing this client on every machine on campus is
> that I have to put my email address in the settings and, should the
> client be discovered and not well received, I have left a perfect
> calling card.
>
> My suggestion is that there be a way to encrypt the email address in the
> .ini file and in the client configuration screen.  A simple encryption
> is all that would be necessary.  DES would do.  :-)
>
> There are literally hundreds of computers here which could be utilized
> if this were implemented.
>
> Your feature creep,
> Jason Bechtel
>
> Team University of Toledo
> http://jb.ml.org/

        Ummmm, the client might have these stealth features if it was for
sysadmins like myself who have looked at the clients, compared its demands
with those of our users, and decided it can run on our equipment without
causing problems, and decided it provides us with the ability to run the
clients on our LAN without users calling every five minutes and yelling
"HELP! There's some kind of cow virus on my computer!". Saying 'no one
would really notice' doesn't make it right to add software to machines you
don't administer. Also, it seems from your questions that you KNOW you
shouldn't be running it, but intend to anyway. Where I work, that's the
quickest way out of a job.
	Also, it seems you're trying to justify your illegal (if not in
terms of tort law or state/federal law, definitely in terms of campus
policy) installation of software on Univeristy computers to us by telling
us there are 'literally hundreds of computers' this could be running on. I
know I can speak for some of the other members of this list (and I know
not all, since we've had discussion on this) when I say that if you have
to find a way to justify doing something you know is wrong, just don't do
it.
	Instead, find the network admins of the University. Visit the
computer lab, find out who the head of the department or the IS staff is,
and schedule an appointment. Find the head of the Computer Science
department or the engineering school and talk with them. Make sure you're
well prepared with information about the importance of cracking rc5-64,
and the benefits the school might get. Make a proposal that interests
them, and show them the clients really won't interfere with their software
(if it really won't), and then accept their answer of either yes or no.
	When people run software illegally on our network, they get fired.
When they come to the admins of the network with a proposal that makes
sense and looks good, they usually get to go through with it, even if on a
smaller scale than they planned, as well as looking good in the eyes of
everyone involved (Superiors like to know you are involved and working in
the rules, sysadmins like to know you're checking with them first, and
maybe they know of even more machines or companies who might want to help!
Sysadmins are often herd animals, and we discuss all the new things in the
geek workd amongst ourselves. If you get your sysadmins involved, he might
tell his friends, and we might get 10 or 100 times the CPU power out of
it, even if the sysadmin at the University decides they can't run it, but
his friends at XYZ corp might!).

Sean McPherson
sean at ntr.net
Network Operations Technician