[RC5] d.net progress

Fri Nov 21 08:45:06 EST 1997

On Fri, 21 Nov 1997 08:05:15 -0500 (EST), Geoffrey Carman wrote:

>	The example I recall is the NSA's 8192 CPU PPro 200 box.  So if
>our stats show we are cracking at twice that rate, and we are doing a tiny
>tiny tiny fractionof the keyspace daily, would that not show, that 64 bit
>ss probably ok for the very near future?

It is not arrays of PPros that we should be concerned about.  It is
arrays of custom designed and built chips that crack keys at many times
the rate of a PPro and for a fraction of the cost.

If you had designed a custom chip that cost 1/4 what a PPro does and
did 4 times as many kkeys, the amount of money spent on the 8192 CPU
machine could buy a system eight times as fast as our current
distributed computer.

For more details, check out:

http://www.bsa.org/policy/encryption/cryptographers.html

| Skip Huffman      | "A penny saved may be a penny     |
| Carreker-Antinori | earned, but it's a waste of a     |
| Atlanta Office    | deposit slip and it really pisses |
| Quality Group     | off the tellers."                 |

To unsubcribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at llamas.net