[RC5] Win32: feature creep

Richard Freeman rfreeman at netaxs.com
Fri Nov 21 11:05:26 EST 1997

On Fri, 21 Nov 1997, Jason Bechtel wrote:

> What keeps me from installing this client on every machine on campus is
> that I have to put my email address in the settings and, should the
> client be discovered and not well received, I have left a perfect
> calling card.
>
> My suggestion is that there be a way to encrypt the email address in the
> .ini file and in the client configuration screen.  A simple encryption
> is all that would be necessary.  DES would do.  :-)

I wouldn't really recommend this.  The key would have to be stored in the
client (after all, the client does need to know who to send in as the
correct email) - making it only moderately difficult to crack the ini
file.  A simpler way would be to take advantage of an anonymous remailer -
I think that nym.alias.net still works last time I checked.  You just
configure it create an alias for you, and then all email sent to
asdfasdf at nym.alias.net will be forwarded to you - you can have it bounce
it off of a few remailers so that it would require the cops raiding a lot
of placed to trace where the email is actually going to...

Richard T. Freeman <rfreeman at netaxs.com> - finger for pgp key
3D CB AF BD FF E8 0B 10 4E 09 27 00 8D 27 E1 93
http://www.netaxs.com/~rfreeman - ftp.netaxs.com/people/rfreeman

To unsubcribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at llamas.net