[RC5] d.net progress

gindrup at okway.okstate.edu gindrup at okway.okstate.edu
Fri Nov 21 09:53:41 EST 1997

     Actually, there are several reasons.
     Geek Factor.
     Biggest computer in the world factor.
     Charity to Project Gutenberg factor.
     US Gov is dumb factor.

     But, remember, a *real* effort would use the information that the
     first several bytes of the decrypted message are "The unknown message
     is: ", the next byte is capitalized ASCII and all the remaining bytes
     are printable ASCII characters followed by some (possibly empty)
     sequence of NULLs (padding).
     We aren't even remotely using all this information.  We're attacking
     by pure brute-force.
     Further, remember, the NSA would *not* just build an 8k x PPro/200
     machine.  They'd get several of them.  Such a machine is very cheap
     compared to what they normally get...  (In single units: $820 each.
     Arbitrarily assume that the bulk discount exactly offsets the cost of
     the support hardware and OS development.  Then, US$6.7M -- a pittance
     compared to the "moby" Cray (T3E-1200, 2k x Alpha/600) ~US$150M.
            -- Eric Gindrup ! gindrup at okway.okstate.edu