[RC5] Win32: feature creep

Matthew L Bennett lord_buttmonkey at juno.com
Sun Nov 23 06:17:39 EST 1997

>>Word is platform-independent?  I don't think so!  We're not all
>> running
>>M$ software.

Well, 8 out of 10 PC's is running Windows.  Does that make Windows
better?  Well, lemme just say this:  If it's easy to use, people will use
it.  You want people to use Linux (or another *nix variant)?  Make more
software and make it easier, and maybe even advertise it.

>>M$ just released their *first attempt* at a Unix
>>browser
>>and it only runs on one platform.

Why bother using it?  Netscape is better IMO, anyway.

>>The one-and-only reason that
>>they
>> did
>>this was to (try to) counter Netscape's reign as the dominant
>>cross-platform browser.

Well, I get a little irked seing half of the websites I go to say "Best
viewed with Internet Exploder".

>>"New! Office97 for Linux!  Only $499.99
>>+S/H!"
>>Eeewww!  Gag me with a CD!

... I thought Linux alone had a whole free all-in-one package for X that
could beat Word or Work's butt(But, it's in *X*, so... lag city).

> Not to futher fan the flames, but...

Well, that happens a lot on this list :-).

> I'd gladly pay $500 for MSOffice for Linux.

::barrrrf!!!::

More flame fanning:

Wonder why people pirate?  Really, $500 bucks for something people could
get from a neighbor for free?

Now... I know that was unnecessary, and I'm not trying to start another
pirating debate... ignore it if you wish.

>The only reason I'm not
> running Linux as my desktop right now is that I need Office to do my
> job.

Why not just use free software (No, not pirated word, just the free Linux
stuff)?
To unsubcribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at llamas.net