[RC5] Win32: feature creep

steve,,, vort at resnet124.unm.edu
Sun Nov 23 05:22:20 EST 1997

> >>Word is platform-independent?  I don't think so!  We're not all
> >> running
> >>M$ software.
>
> Well, 8 out of 10 PC's is running Windows.  Does that make Windows

and PC's aren't the only platform available... platform not just meaning
OS, but also hardware as well.

> it.  You want people to use Linux (or another *nix variant)?  Make more
> software and make it easier, and maybe even advertise it.

linux and its kin aren't for everyone, people that say everyone should run
Penix ( or whatever) are just as closed minded as the people that say 'w1nd0ze
ruleZ'.  For many people, all they need is a windows box.  Others want more,
they want source for the OS, they want to write their own features, and for
them the free OS's are just peachy.

> Well, I get a little irked seing half of the websites I go to say "Best
> viewed with Internet Exploder".

i get just as irritated with the places that say best viewed with netscape,
whatever happened to standards, or are we going off of MS's definition of
standard? :-P  I firmly believe that a web page should be easily navigable
with Netscape/MSIE/Lynx/Arena/whatever-you-choose-to-use...

> > I'd gladly pay $500 for MSOffice for Linux.
>
> ::barrrrf!!!::
>
> More flame fanning:
>
> Wonder why people pirate?  Really, $500 bucks for something people could
> get from a neighbor for free?

i don't know much about star office, i don't have a lot of use for it at
this point and time, but what I have heard about it is positive, if anyone
is interested in an office suite for linux you might look into it.  It is
free for non-commercial use, you can ftp it from :
ftp://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/staroffice/
and alternately they have a website with a bit of info at www.stardivision.com

from the README:

What is StarOffice 3.1 for Linux?
---------------------------------
Star Office 3.1 is a suite of office productivity applications containing
StarWriter 3.1 (word processor), StarCalc 3.1 (spreadsheet), StarDraw 3.1
(graphics and presentation package), StarImage 3.1 (image manipulation)
StarChart 3.1 (bar, pie and other charts) and StarMath 3.1 (formula
design). StarOffice 3.1 makes heavy use of common code in shared libraries,
therefore using relatively few resources for the level of functionality.

-steve

--
 http;//flux.unm.edu - Modern scooter website!
   I have plenty of common sense, i just choose to ignore it. -Calvin
To unsubcribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at llamas.net