[RC5] Win32: feature creep

Greg Wooledge wooledge at kellnet.com
Sun Nov 23 09:18:42 EST 1997

Joe Zbiciak (j-zbiciak1 at ti.com) wrote:

> thought vi's regexp's were cryptic (eg. the following gibberish is a
> valid command in vi, and anyone who can tell me what it does wins an
> MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE:  ':/\/bin\/false/s/^\([^:]*\):\([^:]*\)/\2:\1/g'),

Well, with an empty buffer it makes vim say 'Pattern not found: \/bin\/false'.

I can tell you what the part beginning with 's/' does: it reverses the
first two fields of lines with the format 'foo:bar:...'.  You can omit
the trailing 'g' since you can only perform this substitution once per
line anyway (due to the '^' anchor).

Oh, and I've heard about TECO but I've never seen it.

This message has been brought to you through the power of vi. :-)

--
# Greg Wooledge                         # "Daddy, why do those people have to
# wooledge at kellnet.com                  #   use Microsoft Windows?"
To unsubcribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at llamas.net