[RC5] Win32: feature creep

David McNett nugget at slacker.com
Sun Nov 23 11:10:51 EST 1997

Matthew L Bennett was heard saying:
>> I'd gladly pay $500 for MSOffice for Linux.
>> running Linux as my desktop right now is that I need Office to do my
>> job.
>
>Why not just use free software (No, not pirated word, just the free
Linux
>stuff)?

Because then I've effectively sealed myself into a closed room with no
doors and no windows (and no pun intended).  Call it "man in the iron
mask
syndrome".  Sure, I could drop windows, convert to linux, and run
Applixware or staroffice or a similar package.  But I couldn't work
with anyone else in my office.

"Here, Bob, take a look at this memo I'm about to send to the office.
Now, remember, it's a TeX document so you can't just load it into word
like you usually do.  Here, let me help you install ghostscript on your
machine so I can send you a raw output file.  No, no, like I told you
before, when I send you a file for ghostscript you can't edit it.  Just
email me with your comments and tell me what page of the document
you're talking about.  And don't forget to turn off MIME on your email.
 You forgot last time and my unix mailer tried to run metamail on your
email.  Oh, by the way, can I borrow your machine while you're at lunch
today?  I need to request a PO for the new servers and remember how I
was telling you that since the PO System was written in Microsoft
Access that I couldn't access it on my desk?  Thanks, Bob!  One of
these days I've got to get you to switch to Unix.  It's so much better
and more efficient!"

-/\/

To unsubcribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at llamas.net