[RC5] A few questions ...

sundae sundae at technologist.com
Sun Nov 23 22:43:55 EST 1997

Sorry to ask but, I think you get a bit confused with the bovine project and
the rc5-64 clients a bit confused.. (at least I hope *I* am not the one
confused..)

>First, can I change my .ini file to buffer any number of blocks?  I
>was able to get over two hundred by doing this.

200 seems to be the maximum for the buffer.  It should be enough to keep a
computer running the rc5 client for days, even if the computer does nothing
else other than the client.  (Unless you're using a *very* powerful
computer.. ;)

When the client is running in offline mode, the client will use random
blocks to continue with the cracking even after the 200 blocks in the
buffer.

If connecting to the net every few days is still a problem, then running the
personal proxy should be more feasible.  It is actually suggested on the
proxy download page I believe.

>Second, is Bovine going to approach a big company and see if they'll
>join the project or are we waiting until we're actually doing
>something (hopefully v3)?

This is where I'm confused.  What has the RC5 project to do with a big
company?  We already have big enough a company of computers sacrificing (or,
utilizing if you like) the spare CPU cycles. =)  Also, we *are* actually
doing something (namely, cracking).  And we will continue to do that even if
the v3 clients will never be released.

>Third, how are the stats going to do when v3 comes out and we start
>having multiple projects at the same time?

It's the same project.  Just different versions of clients.  And I think,
sooner or later, the old v2 clients will be obsolete when the v3 are
released and majority of people are alreadying running them.  (Just think of
that as different versions of M$ Word..)

>Fourth, am I still cruching keys while my computer is trying to
>connect to the internet (I still have blocks in buff-in.rc5)?

Confused again.. totally confused this time... can someone with more
knowledge on how the client works and better English explain this please?

<snip>

>There are, however, some things I need help with before I talk with
>"computer guy".  We have several win95tels connected to the school
>network, but I'm not sure if the server is connected to the internet.
>
>What should I do if the server is connected to the internet constantly,
>only sporatically, or is never connected?  Should I set up a personnal
>proxy?

IMO, for a network that isn't connected to the net all the times, it's
better to run the personal proxy on the gateway machine.  If the computers
are connected to the net, then the proxy isn't necessary.  If they are never
connected... that's a good question... maybe run rc5 on a floppy as some
people suggested 2 or 3 days ago?

sundae

To unsubcribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at llamas.net