[RC5] Idea

Ivo Janssen ivo at ricardis.tudelft.nl
Mon Nov 24 17:34:15 EST 1997

On Fri, 21 Nov 1997, Chris Arguin wrote:

> On Fri, 21 Nov 1997, The Man wrote:
>
> > Stephen Blackstone wrote:
> >
> > > It would be nice if the client had an option so it would run at diffrernt
> > > priorties at differnt times of the day..(I have no trouble just lettimng
> > > it run full speed while I'm sleeping for example)  anyone?
> >
> > This is hardly difficult. If you are using a legitimate OS, that is - just
> > set up a cron job to run a script using the renice command. Renice it to 19
> > at 8am or whatever, and to something negative at 11pm. If you are stuck with
> > Windoze, well,...
>
> It doesn't really matter though. When you aren't using your computer, it
> gets all the CPU anyways. The only reason it would make a difference is if
> you tend to run other programs overnight as well.

Well, other people on my system actually do. They run their programs
at nice 19 and do not want me to run rc5 then. So I'd like to see a
load-watcher included. Like "if load<0.2 kill -CONT rc5; if load>1.2
kill -STOP rc5". Right now I'm using loadwatch.sh for this purpose,
but it would be easier if this would be included in the client (along
with timeofday-dependency.

Ivo

| IVO JANSSEN       | ivo at ricardis.tudelft.nl        | |     |   |
| Ricardishof 1/428 | janssen at cardit.et.tudelft.nl   | |   |-+   |
| 2614 JE Delft     | elektron.et.tudelft.nl/~ivo/   | +->-|    (|)
| the Netherlands   | Dept of Electrical Engineering |     |-+   |
| +31-15-2855973    | Delft University of Technology |       |   |

To unsubcribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at llamas.net