[RC5] Idea

Chris Arguin Chris.Arguin at unh.edu
Mon Nov 24 12:12:06 EST 1997

On Mon, 24 Nov 1997, Ivo Janssen wrote:

> On Fri, 21 Nov 1997, Chris Arguin wrote:

> > > This is hardly difficult. If you are using a legitimate OS, that is - just
> > > set up a cron job to run a script using the renice command. Renice it to 19
> > > at 8am or whatever, and to something negative at 11pm. If you are stuck with
> > > Windoze, well,...
> >
> > It doesn't really matter though. When you aren't using your computer, it
> > gets all the CPU anyways. The only reason it would make a difference is if
> > you tend to run other programs overnight as well.
>
> Well, other people on my system actually do. They run their programs
> at nice 19 and do not want me to run rc5 then. So I'd like to see a
> load-watcher included. Like "if load<0.2 kill -CONT rc5; if load>1.2
> kill -STOP rc5". Right now I'm using loadwatch.sh for this purpose,
> but it would be easier if this would be included in the client (along
> with timeofday-dependency.

Ahh... I see. I ran into that problem at work. Had a nice dual-processor
Alpha, where most of it's processing power is wasted. I set up a cron job
to only run rc5 at off hours, and discovered that some people actually do
nice their jobs (I work at a Space Research Building... Jobs tend to
run for a loooong time).

In that case, yes. I can certainly see where that would be nice.

--
Chris Arguin                 | "...All we had were Zeros and Ones -- And
Chris.Arguin at .unh.edu        |  sometimes we didn't even have Ones."

To unsubcribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at llamas.net