[RC5] Idea

Sean Morgan nerdboy5000 at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 24 16:42:20 EST 1997

>>     Hmmm...  This makes me wonder about dedicated clients -- machines with
>>     bits and pieces borrowed from a legitimate OS on the machine, but
>>     booted to run the Bovine client exclusively.  I imagein something like
>>     the DOS client, boot (to Protected Mode) code, TCPIP stack from
>>     whatever the machine would normally use...  Surely this could all fit
>>     on a boot floppy...
>>            -- Eric Gindrup ! gindrup at okway.okstate.edu
>
>Build a very minimal Linux system with networking support, put it on a
>floppy, and have init=rc564?
>
>Seems that would be the easiest way.  ISTR that someone with DESCHALL or
>SolNET had done this, way back when.
>		Mike

Actually, a few people on the mac list played around with something along
those lines, but in the end they gave up because the actual time it takes
to put together a startup disk and restart your machine pretty much cancels
out the speed gain that it'll get...that is, of course, unless you're
planning on letting it run untouched for quite a while...

To unsubcribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at llamas.net