Pirating (Useless. Was: [RC5] Win32: feature creep

Robert Brooks robertb at geocities.com
Tue Nov 25 09:57:23 EST 1997

>I've successfully gotten a position as a (software-oriented) engineer
>based my long standing, strong software background, despite the fact
>that my initial monetary resources would have strictly disallowed me
>that fortune.

I'd never thought about how my experience with (technically) pirated
software led to me working for a company that is willing to shell out $500
a seat for development tools like Visual Basic (on top of the OS and other
apps like the despised Offishe suite).  I used to run Microsoft Word for
DOS off of a hacked-up 5-1/4 floppy that was prone to "bad sector" errors
-- take it out, blow on it, put it in again, hit (R)etry.  I'd have to say
that Bill Gates has profited well from my "piracy"...

>I'm a mean, nasty, horrible, awful, disguting,
>moralless person...

I'm glad I'm not the only one, but that's another story! ;)

>(Cable companies would be out of business if all
>the "piracy" that people perform with VCRs really mattered.  The same
>argument can be applied to software.)

I'd never considered this argument... I guess the biggest difference is
that nobody calls up the cable company for tech support for their copied
video "software".

IIRC, didn't the cable companies at one point try to legislate off-air
taping out of existence?  And what about the country-locked DVD formats, or
the "3 times and you're out" DVD that the big studios are pushing for?  If
they're hoping that encryption of some sort will keep their DVD's from
being viewed "inappropriately", I think they'll be mistaken...

Robert Brooks / robertb at geocities.com
http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/4535/graph.html (Wallpaper Heaven!)

To unsubcribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at llamas.net