[RC5] Email = cycles (was re: Theme Cow...)

Robert Brooks robertb at geocities.com
Mon Nov 24 16:47:19 EST 1997

>> My point was that by requesting a client for an old machine that *DOESN'T
>> HAVE A CLIENT YET* you are wasting processor cycles on thousands of
>> machiens, as they download, store, open, scroll, and close your message.

[yadda yadda yadda]

>Wel then why the heck even have a *mailing list* for rc5 if its wasting
>cycles on thousands of machines! ;)

But look at it this way.  I am using very few computer cycles as I type
this message.  If I weren't typing this message, I'd be compiling
something, and that would be using up all my PC's cycles.  Then you get the
message, and read it.  Again, you are reading my message instead of
compiling (or rasterizing or printing or uploading or otherwise working).
The time you spend reading my message results in idle cycles that in turn
feed the Bovine that's grazing on your system.

In effect, then, the more lunatic suggestions we put together for clients
for cars, TRS-80's, and my dad's old hex-programmable Heathkit kit from the
early '70s... the more idle cycles get dedicated to the effort!

(Now, try explaining *that* to your sysadmin!  or your boss...)

Of course, dissenting viewpoints will be gracefully accepted... as long as
you're running the client while you type your dissent...

Robert Brooks / robertb at geocities.com
http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/4535/graph.html (Wallpaper Heaven!)

To unsubcribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at llamas.net