Pirating (Useless. Was: [RC5] Win32: feature creep

Wes Shull wshull at scicom.com
Tue Nov 25 20:06:17 EST 1997

On Thursday, November 27, 1997 7:26 PM, John Ragland
[SMTP:tachyon at icom.net] wrote:

> >     Thanks.  I really appreciate all you've done to decrease the
quality
> >     of my life.  Perhaps while you're at it, you could steal my car and
> >     kill my family.  I was kind of used to having quality
implementations
> >     of them.
>
> If I agree to your request that makes a contract and you are legally
> required to obey it.

Er, not quite, or at least by US law (I'd be interested in hearing if this
works differently in other countries).  For it to be a legally binding
contract, it must involve some exchange of 'consideration'.  This case
would not be a contract, since Eric is not providing any consideration in
return for the service you are providing him with (stealing his car and
killing his family); in this case, you (John) are actually just providing
Eric with a gift of services.

Cases where someone sues someone else for going back on their promise to
give something always fail, because it's not a contract--there is no
consideration received in return.  For once, reason triumphs over greed...

--wes
To unsubcribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at llamas.net