[RC5] Time to completion

Seth Dillingham seth at snet.net
Wed Nov 26 02:54:13 EST 1997

Cedric Tefft (cedric at earthling.net), on 11/26/97 1:31 AM, wrote the
following:

>If I've done my math correctly it looks like at the current rate of 9000
>MKeys/sec it will take over 64 years to exhaust the keyspace.  In order
>to complete the task within one year we would need to increase our rate
>to almost 595,000 MKeys/sec (i.e. 64 times our current rate).  Even a
>3-year completion target would require an average rate of 195,000
>MKeys/sec.  Does it seem likely that we will be able to increase our
>current rate by such large factors?
>
>BTW, feel free to check my math.  I've been known to misplace a decimal
>point on occasion.

I think we're going to have a hard time NOT finishing this within 5
years. I don't think it will happen in one year, but even with that I
won't be surprised. There's an awful lot of computers out there, and they
just keep getting faster and faster and faster...

                  seth at snet.net
    http://macrobyte.simplenet.com/sethspeak/
         http://www.distributed-mac.net/
            Public Key available at