[RC5] Fwd: MIT Cryptographic Effort

Wed Nov 26 08:06:53 EST 1997

On Wed, 26 Nov 1997 04:02:29 -0500, Justin Cave wrote:

>Some people at MIT are launching an effort to crack rc5-64 using
>exclusively Java clients.  While they don't have a snowball's chance in
>Hades of actually *finding* the key, it's an interesting concept.  Perhaps
>the group that was going to design a Bovine Java client would be interested.
>
>>Help break a 64-bit key! This is an MIT effort!
>>
>>You've seen the DES Challenge, the Bovine effort. But you haven't seen
>>a network-wide effort out of MIT! We're trying to break an RC5 64-bit
>>key. If you want to help out, all you need to do is point your PC or
>>Mac to the following URL:
>>
>>	http://rc5.mit.edu

Well, that is entertaining.  9.8kks and my system is slugish, very
slugish.

I don't think that puppy is running at idle! <grin>

| Skip Huffman      | "A penny saved may be a penny     |
| Carreker-Antinori | earned, but it's a waste of a     |
| Atlanta Office    | deposit slip and it really pisses |
| Quality Group     | off the tellers."                 |

To unsubcribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at llamas.net