[RC5] Time to completion

Ivo Janssen ivo at ricardis.tudelft.nl
Wed Nov 26 14:10:45 EST 1997

On Wed, 26 Nov 1997, Cedric Tefft wrote:

> If I've done my math correctly it looks like at the current rate of 9000
> MKeys/sec it will take over 64 years to exhaust the keyspace.  In order
> to complete the task within one year we would need to increase our rate
> to almost 595,000 MKeys/sec (i.e. 64 times our current rate).  Even a
> 3-year completion target would require an average rate of 195,000
> MKeys/sec.  Does it seem likely that we will be able to increase our
> current rate by such large factors?

Yep. We increased to 10Gkeys (from 5 Gkeys) in less than a month.
When we started rc5-56 the fastest intel there was was a ppro 200 or
so. Now we're dealing with pII-300 and more. Ghz is coming fast....
So a speedup of 10^2 should be doable. And then it's one year to
finish rc5-64. That's reasonable, not?

Ivo

To unsubcribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at llamas.net