Pirating (Useless. Was: [RC5] Win32: feature creep

Robert Brooks robertb at geocities.com
Wed Nov 26 11:15:24 EST 1997

Kevin, son of Haaren, expounded thusly:
>hey could you send me a copy of all your VB stuff you've developed?
>You'll still have your copy so nobody loses any money....

Actually, your request is exactly the subject of a message I tried to send
while the list was in limbo...

<OFFTOPICMESSAGE relevance=none>

>I don't have a Porsche yet, but I'm planning on buying a used 928 in
>the next few days.  I'm 23 years old, just got out of college in May.
> I'm paying for the car myself out of my unexceptional $40k salary
>from my job as a programmer.

If I recall correctly, one of the points on the GNU copy*left* site had to
do with the future of software and the control of ideas.  Basically,
software like Windows and Word and um, (there must be something that M$
doesn't make) are or should be commodities, with only a nominal media
charge.  If a company wants to go beyond the basic capabilities, they can
pay one of us code jockeys to create a custom tool to do what they need done.

In fact, my programming group is in charge of a 8.5 Meg behemoth VB program
that fills such a specific niche that nobody would want to pirate it even
if they could!  (I think it's available at http://www.clr.com/)

Of course, if you follow the GNU model, then you'd never get past CP/M,
WordStar for DOS, Lotus 1-2-3 for DOS, dBase for DOS, and the like.
Interesting that the successors to all these apps were written by a
programmer named Bill Gates!  I guess we all got together and paid him
(several billion dollars) to create that custom tool we were looking for. ;)

</OFFTOPICMESSAGE>

Robert Brooks / robertb at geocities.com
http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/4535/graph.html (Wallpaper Heaven!)
http://www.flash.net/~totoro/ (Totoro Consulting / totoro at flash.net)