[RC5] Time to completion

Dmitriy Bobkov dbobkov at raleigh.ibm.com
Wed Nov 26 15:54:10 EST 1997

I don't think that 98 for the PPC 1GHz is pushing. Motorola and IBM already
announced it :)

rfreeman at netaxs.com on 11/26/97 11:37:58 AM

Please respond to rc5 at llamas.net

To:   rc5 at llamas.net
cc:    (bcc: Dmitriy Bobkov/NWSMEL)
Subject:  RE: [RC5] Time to completion

On Wed, 26 Nov 1997, Kevin van Haaren wrote:

> Computer speeds double about every 3 years.  CPU speeds double about
> every year (yes the two are different).  This is almost exclusively a
> CPU project so we should see an even faster increase.
>
> PowerPC is supposed to hit 1GHz in 98.

Sounds kind of like 'PowerPC's will revolutionize the market - they will
cost a fraction of an x86 and go twice as fast'...

As I recal, they ended up costing about the same, and performing about the
same...  Obviously some tasks go a little faster on one or the other...

I do agree that 1GHz will probably come around soon though - 98 might be
pushing it though...

Richard T. Freeman <rfreeman at netaxs.com> - finger for pgp key
3D CB AF BD FF E8 0B 10 4E 09 27 00 8D 27 E1 93
http://www.netaxs.com/~rfreeman - ftp.netaxs.com/people/rfreeman

To unsubcribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at llamas.net

To unsubcribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at llamas.net