[RC5] Time to completion

Paul Wouters paul at xtdnet.nl
Wed Nov 26 21:43:53 EST 1997

On Wed, 26 Nov 1997, Kwoody wrote:

> On Wed, 26 Nov 1997, Robert Brooks wrote:
>
> > Wasn't there a sci-fi book where a "generation ship" is built to reach
> > another star system, is lost and forgotten, then is found generations later
> > by a ship using technology that makes the hundred-year's trip in a few
> > days?  Or was that an idea I had after too much tequila in college?
>
> Yup there was. I rememberd the story after I read that post. I think it
> was just a short story though.

This is from the Pandorra series of Frank Herbert. I think the first leading
short story to this was published in a collection alubm (Eye?). Anyway, the
first book, where this takes place, is called "Destination: void". Basically,
the 'slow' shipes arrive to a water-rich planet where the 'fast' latecomers
have already domesticated the world.

Then again, I cannot check all this cause my Herbert collection is packed in
a box because I am moving :)

Paul

To unsubcribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at llamas.net