[RC5] Time to completion

gindrup at okway.okstate.edu gindrup at okway.okstate.edu
Wed Nov 26 17:33:00 EST 1997

     On the other foot...  Digital had announced 800MHz and 1GHz Alphas for
     1998.  Now that Intel has their xenophobic finger in the picture,
     though...
            -- Eric Gindrup ! gindrup at okway.okstate.edu

Subject: RE: [RC5] Time to completion
Author:  <rc5 at llamas.net > at SMTP
Date:    1997/11/26 11:37

On Wed, 26 Nov 1997, Kevin van Haaren wrote:

> Computer speeds double about every 3 years.  CPU speeds double about
> every year (yes the two are different).  This is almost exclusively a
> CPU project so we should see an even faster increase.
>
> PowerPC is supposed to hit 1GHz in 98.

Sounds kind of like 'PowerPC's will revolutionize the market - they will
cost a fraction of an x86 and go twice as fast'...

As I recal, they ended up costing about the same, and performing about the
same...  Obviously some tasks go a little faster on one or the other...

I do agree that 1GHz will probably come around soon though - 98 might be
pushing it though...

Richard T. Freeman <rfreeman at netaxs.com> - finger for pgp key
3D CB AF BD FF E8 0B 10 4E 09 27 00 8D 27 E1 93
http://www.netaxs.com/~rfreeman - ftp.netaxs.com/people/rfreeman

To unsubcribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at llamas.net

To unsubcribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at llamas.net