[RC5] Time to completion

an.gordon at netaccess.co.nz an.gordon at netaccess.co.nz
Thu Nov 27 13:42:20 EST 1997

> >On a side note, I've always imagined a class of problems that could
> >be described like this: If you started to work on them now, by the
> >time they were finished another machine would have been invented
> >that could solve them before the older machine is done (ie, the
> >sooner the better doesn't always work).
>
> Wasn't there a sci-fi book where a "generation ship" is built to
> reach another star system, is lost and forgotten, then is found
> generations later by a ship using technology that makes the
> hundred-year's trip in a few days?  Or was that an idea I had after
> too much tequila in college?

There was a Babylon5 episode where an old sleeper ship that was built
to home in on radio signals homed in on Babylon5 transmissions.

Internet: Andrew.Gordon at hillmorton.school.ac.nz
          http://hhs.hillmorton.school.ac.nz/~student/gordona/andrew.htm
          http://www.gordons.ml.org/   (when my connection is up)
          an.gordon at netaccess.co.nz
Fidonet : Andrew Gordon @ 3:770/380.21
FAX/BBS : 64-3-3384103
Don't hide your contempt of the contemptible!

To unsubcribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at llamas.net