[RC5] Many Things

James Burns jfburns at CC.OWU.EDU
Wed Nov 26 18:36:05 EST 1997

Hello RC5 people,
     I've come out of the lurking shadows with some questions and
observations. I decided to check out the MIT RC5 java page to scoff at
it, considering the numbers people were reporting on the list. However
using a PPC 603 100Mhz with the Netscape 4.04 VM I got number of over
1200 kkps. This is strange considering the Bovine client at max get 280
kkps. If someone can explain this I would be greatful.
     Also I was wondering why when the MacOS client starts up on my
Powerbook 520 (040 @ 33Mhz) I get keyrates of 40-50 kps during the
"testing" part of the startup, but then get about 20 kps in actual use.
     Furthermore, someone before mentioned talking to companies about the
project, and someone replied that "what did this project have to do with
companies." However, I would like to point out that it would be very
beneficial to us if it did have something to do with companies. Many
companies have mainframes that are sitting idle "wasting" a lot of
computing power. It might be worth our while to talk to MIS in different
companies, selling the project on its possible future marketablity.
     Just one last thing, it'd be really nice if there was a form on one
of the d.net pages which allowed people to fill in email addresses and
have the system mail them a message or a web page which explained the
project, the benefits, and where to find the client. Sort of like ICQ's
technique. I look forward to hearing any responses.

-James

"Expectation leads to manifestation"
                        -James Burns

To unsubcribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at llamas.net