[RC5]: Stats disreceptancy?

Robert A. Costner pooh at efga.org
Wed Nov 26 22:04:21 EST 1997

At 06:31 PM 11/26/97 -0800, Paul West wrote:
>Has anyone seen Team #1471, what a Crock of #%&(
>
>        Team Summary for Team CheataLista
>
>        Current Ranking              8
>        Total keys checked:          198 Trillion

This team seems to be exploiting a flaw in the stats system.  According to
Team CheataLista the flaw is not a project fatal one, simply a stats
reporting flaw.  I can't fault distributed.net for what is obviously a
problem with their volunteer programming effort.  I think that Modem Biker
might have been better to have reported the problem to Nugget for
resolution first, rather than continue to exploit the bug.

This effort is about cooperation on a large scale project, not trying to
hack a project that is growing faster than the organizers can handle.

  -- Robert Costner                  Phone: (770) 512-8746
     Electronic Frontiers Georgia    mailto:pooh at efga.org
     http://www.efga.org/            run PGP 5.0 for my public key
To unsubcribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at llamas.net