[RC5] IRC problems

Tom Marshall tommym at owt.com
Wed Nov 26 20:44:40 EST 1997

I'm having problems connecting with IRC.... I'm hoping there's an IRC
guru listening who can give advice.  I don't play with IRC very often
but I thought it would be nice to see what was happening at #rc5.

Here's the deal:

I'm running Linux on my machine and using Zircon 1.18 to connect to
IRC.  This machine is connected to my local ethernet (4 machine
network).  I have a Linux server setup with IP masquerading and gives me
net access via a dialup ISDN connection.  I found a page that listed
irc.lightning.net (among others) as EFNet servers.  When I try to
connect, Zircon gives me a dialog that says something to the effect
"sorry charlie, you cloned me".  Another server said I was "K-lined".
What's going on???

I tried disabling identd on my masq machine but that didn't affect
anything.  Perhaps the IRC server doesn't appreciate the fact that I
appear to be coming from one IP address but my box thinks it's on a
different address?

Is someone punishing me for mercilessly killing "eggdrop" on the server
that I administer at work????  ;-)
To unsubcribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at llamas.net