Pirating (Useless. Was: [RC5] Win32: feature cree

Richard Freeman rfreeman at netaxs.com
Fri Nov 28 12:36:04 EST 1997

On Sun, 30 Nov 1997, John Ragland wrote:

> I will never use Word and will never buy it. According to your logic,
> if I have a copy of it, I have cost its developers money which is not
> true.

Actually, it is true.  You suggest that to have a copy of Word, but not to
pay for it or use it does not cost anyone money.  Well, if you really
don't use it, its kind of silly to keep around, isn't it?  Just go ahead
and delete it.  On the other hand, if it is of some strange sentimental
value to you to have a copy that you aren't using, then you could just as
well have paid for that copy, depsite your not using it...  So, M$ lost
money...  After all, you could have paid for it and still not used it and
kept a copy around.  Or, you could not pay for it, not use it, and not
keep it around.  Who on earth copies software for the purpose of letting
it sit somewhere and never with the intention to use it or distribute it -
both of which are clearly illegal?

This is the silliest argument I've ever seen.  Well, if I chose not to buy
something then the company loses money - true, but this is not illegal.
What is wrong is to use a program without paying for it...  For most
people, using a program means running it and doing something with it...
It seems that maybe you are a strange sort and that you extract value from
possessing the programs rather than running them - for you I guess you
could say then that using the program is tantamount to possessing it...

The reason that laws are devised are to make practical life possible - not
to satisfy the imagination of somebody who can think of zillions of
hypothetical situations that have little value in real life...

Richard T. Freeman <rfreeman at netaxs.com> - finger for pgp key
3D CB AF BD FF E8 0B 10 4E 09 27 00 8D 27 E1 93
http://www.netaxs.com/~rfreeman - ftp.netaxs.com/people/rfreeman

To unsubcribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at llamas.net