[RC5] Win32 client & screensavers

Robert Brooks robertb at geocities.com
Fri Nov 28 10:27:32 EST 1997

>>> On other subjects of screensavers, Could a client be made as
screensaver. I
>>> don't know anything about how to make them, but I think it could be
>>> possible.

I've managed to create a Visual Basic screen saver ("Advanced Shuffle")
that's on my web site... and surely, if I can do it in VB, they can do it
much more easily in a real language [ducks to avoid flying VB5 CDs thrown
by coworkers].

Isn't it just a matter of trapping a few more events and naming the output
file .scr instead of .exe?  Of course, I'm talking Windows; I haven't the
slightest idea how to do it on a Mac.  If it would help, the source code of
my VB app is freely available by request.  It even includes code to support
the Win95 SS preview screen, although I can't really call it seamless...

By the way, my screen saver shouldn't cause much of a problem with the RC5
client; I include a "niceness" selector that invokes the "Sleep" API
command that should give RC5 a chance to run.  Although I'd appreciate any
hints on what API call would give my screensaver an even lower priority!

Advanced Shuffle is at http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/4535/wall.html

Robert Brooks / robertb at geocities.com
http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/4535/graph.html (Wallpaper Heaven!)
http://www.flash.net/~totoro/ (Totoro Consulting / totoro at flash.net)