Pirating (Useless. Was: [RC5] Win32: feature cree

Richard Freeman rfreeman at netaxs.com
Fri Nov 28 16:37:52 EST 1997

On Fri, 28 Nov 1997, John Ragland wrote:

> There are plenty of people who collect programs without using them and
> if I wish to do that, that is my choice.

I believe in collecting expensive automobiles.  I therefore intend to rob
my neighbors of theirs.  Of course, I won't use them, so therefore its
perfectly OK...  Silly, isn't it?  The fact is, even if you only value
the possession of them, you still owe the money...  You don't have the
choice that you claim that you do have.  It isn't a choice of use it and
pay for it or not.  It is more like, possess it and pay for it or not...

> I do not obey _your_ laws, I obey reasonable laws. I do not obey
> _your_ "contract" unless _I_ get something in return. You do not speak
> for humanity.

Of course I do not.  However, the government of the country you live in
does - at least for the local segment of humanity.  Especially in a
semi-democratic government.  If Uncle Sam tells you to shoot your next
door neighbor - go ahead and ignore him, otherwise I'd be a little careful
about what laws you pick and choose.  What you get in return for obeying
the "contract" might be as simple as being allowed to live as a free
citizen...  Really, since you seem to acknowlege no authority having
superiority to yourself (ie you obey laws solely because it is convenient
to do so - not because you have to even if it is not convenient) - then if
the rest of us followed suit we might decide that if 20 of us or so got
together we might think that everything you own divided amongst ourselves
is better than you having it, and show up one night to collect.  A verse
which seems rather appropriate here:

ROM 13:4 For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do
that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for
he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth
evil.

Whether or not you believe in God - suffice it to say - Uncle Sam doesn't
bear the sword in vain...

Richard T. Freeman <rfreeman at netaxs.com> - finger for pgp key
3D CB AF BD FF E8 0B 10 4E 09 27 00 8D 27 E1 93
http://www.netaxs.com/~rfreeman - ftp.netaxs.com/people/rfreeman

To unsubcribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at llamas.net