[RC5] No net access for weeks at a time....

Jim McManus jim.mcmanus at ibm.net
Sat Nov 29 12:07:19 EST 1997

I have a similar problem as Peter. I have 3 Pentium/Pro machines in my cube plus
a Sparc 20 and two laptops but only 3 Ethernet connections. I was putting the
client and the
buffer files on a floppy and running from the floppy one the unconnected
machines, then moving the floppy to a machine that was connected and flushing the
blocks. Until the
floppy fragged while trying to fetch more blocks, so I quit doing that. One of
the laptops
tends to overheat the Ethernet card and I have turn it off and let the card cool
to get a good
connection, so I don't flush it too often. Being only a P120 Laptop, 200 blocks
lasts a while.

However, one of the unconnected machines is a Dual PP200 and gets close to 1
Mkey/s,
and runs through the 200 blocks in just over a day. 2000 blocks would last me
about 10
days and reduce the maintenance needed. On all the machines that are permanently
connected (My Sparc, several other Sparcs I've logged into and several  other
PC's around
here) I usually set the buffer to 5:5. I've tried to stay out of the office over
the Thanksgiving
holiday (I did take a laptop home...) so I couldn't keep feeding the PP200. It's
a hungry little
bugger.

Maybe the client should have an option to "moo" when generating a random block,
so I
would know when the cows are hungry...

To unsubcribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at llamas.net