[RC5] Tillamook cpu selection problem

Jim McManus jim.mcmanus at ibm.net
Sat Nov 29 15:15:08 EST 1997

I ran the benchmark from the GUI and, no surprise,  the pentium, pentium MMX
core was the fastest. I was curious how the processor is determined. I noticed
that when NT starts is somehow knows it's in a "genuineintel" processor. Does
the code look for something embedded in the processor that is returned when
some certain instructions are run? Or does it run a few instructions and guess
based on the results?