[RC5] No net access for weeks at a time....

Justin Cave jocave at MIT.EDU
Sat Nov 29 22:26:29 EST 1997

At 04:12 PM 11/29/97 , Eric Folley wrote
1) Since this project has searched well under 1% of the keyspace, the
| chance of duplicating work is fairly low. At some later date, as the
| percentage of the keyspace searched increases, this will become
more of an
| issue, but for now...

My understanding is that the INI file specifies the first 8 bits of
the random number to be generated.  Presumably, this was done to make
it easier to use the 56-bit random number generator and to simplify
block accounting.  Unfortunately, this means that your clients are
probably generating random numbers in the same .3% of the keyspace
that we're 33+% done searching.  I believe that changing the
randomprefix in the INI file to a number in the range [0,255] will
let clients generate random blocks in an unsearched or sparsely
searched region of the keyspace.

Justin Cave                        290 Massachusetts Ave
jocave at mit.edu                     Cambridge, MA 02139
http://mental-pygmie.mit.edu
To unsubcribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at llamas.net