[RC5] No net access for weeks at a time....

Greg Wooledge wooledge at kellnet.com
Sat Nov 29 23:01:49 EST 1997

Jim McManus (jim.mcmanus at ibm.net) wrote:

> I have a similar problem as Peter. I have 3 Pentium/Pro machines in my cube plus
> a Sparc 20 and two laptops but only 3 Ethernet connections.

At one location I have 2 Linux boxes with only one ethernet connection.
I ran a serial cable between them, and let the ethernet-connected one
run IP masquerading.  Then I ran pppd on both of them, with the ethernet
one acting as the passive "server".

The non-ethernet-connected one can talk to the HTTP firewall (and thence
to the proxy key servers) via the IP masquerading.

I think someone turned off one or both machines, since my keyrate has been
falling... but I'll be back there Monday, and see if I can revive them.
(I had the client on a third machine there as well, but I think some
lamer^H^H^H^H^Hco-worker rebooted it into NT mode or performed some
other equally hideous crime against Bovine....  It seems I just can't
turn my back on these people. ;-))

--
# Greg Wooledge                         # "Daddy, why do those people have to
# wooledge at kellnet.com                  #   use Microsoft Windows?"
To unsubcribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at llamas.net