[RC5] No net access for weeks at a time....

Justin Cave jocave at MIT.EDU
Sun Nov 30 02:35:50 EST 1997

At 02:16 AM 11/30/97 , Eric Folley wrote
| I just looked at the .ini file of the DOS client, and didn't see any
| setting that would indicate that this is the case. Am I missing
something?

My apologies for suggesting you touch that setting.  As Mr. Dumperth
explained, d.net specifically asked users not to change that setting
(they may have eliminated the ability to change it on certain
clients).  I should have remembered that before opening my big mouth.

| And just for the record, if it is true that "randomness" is
predetermined
| somehow (even if user-configurable), it shouldn't be.

I believe the problem here is one of storage.  d.net doesn't have the
resources to maintain a database of all the blocks that would be
involved in searching the entire 64-bit keyspace, so they're running
up to 256 serial searches of the 56-bit keyspace.  That's the reason
for restricting the random block generation to 1/256th of the
keyspace.

Again, my apologies for suggesting that anyone monkey with the
randomprefix setting.

Justin Cave                        290 Massachusetts Ave
jocave at mit.edu                     Cambridge, MA 02139
http://mental-pygmie.mit.edu
To unsubcribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at llamas.net